Wednesday, August 22, 2007
NaNoWriMo
Yes this post seems a little early for National Novel Writing Month, but I am actually referring to last years contest. I completed my 50,000 word challenge with a whopping 56,000 words. Although when I look over what I have written, some of it is really bad. I noticed my writing style is very linear. Maybe it was because I didn't plan any plot or guide with this challenge and as such I felt that I had to keep the story moving forward in order to get to the next section. So I realized that there is at least one section written in really bad Dick and Jane style just so I could finish that section and move on. I have decided I am going to start moving through the story again and edit the rough draft I currently have. Even after this editing process, I realize the story will still be rough and have plot holes or dangling ends. I hope I will recognize them or that readers will point them out. If you do want to comment on the story, please only post creative criticism. Saying you hate it doesn't help me, telling me the characters are shallow will be more helpful.
My hope is that by the time I finish editing the first 50,000 words, November will be upon me and I can write another 50,000 to finish the story. While I did complete the word challenge, I am in no way finished the story. So as I edit the story I have decided to post each section for anyone to read and comment on. I will likely break each chapter into 3-4 parts. Each chapter averages about 4000 words and I have 14 chapters. I will try to post each section on a consistent schedule. I hope this will keep me on track. I have no title so each section will bear the NaNoWriMo heading with what chapter and section it is from. I hope someone out there will enjoy reading a work in progress.
My hope is that by the time I finish editing the first 50,000 words, November will be upon me and I can write another 50,000 to finish the story. While I did complete the word challenge, I am in no way finished the story. So as I edit the story I have decided to post each section for anyone to read and comment on. I will likely break each chapter into 3-4 parts. Each chapter averages about 4000 words and I have 14 chapters. I will try to post each section on a consistent schedule. I hope this will keep me on track. I have no title so each section will bear the NaNoWriMo heading with what chapter and section it is from. I hope someone out there will enjoy reading a work in progress.
Labels: nanowrimo