Thursday, December 14, 2006

 

The Shroud

I can feel it settle over me, laying heavily upon my shoulders as I try to go about my daily grind. Why now of all times with the holiday season around the corner. As the heavy layer starts to slowly draw me down, I can feel the changes it is bringing to be over my body. While I try to fight against this unnatural weight laid upon me, my body begins to betray me. I can feel my face drawing into a frown more and more. I can feel the lethargy settling in as the weight begins to slow me down. I can feel my stomach shrink from loss of appetite and I reach less and less for food. Not even the chocolate cure holds any temptation over me now. I am loosing myself inexorably to the heavy weight settling in over my shoulders, weighing them down and dragging at me. Play holds no joy and work holds no sorrow. I am ambivalent to everything that is going on around me as I am slowly pulled down to the earth. I will lie here for just a moment to rest. But that moment is stretching, getting away from me. I can't pull myself back up. The weight as put roots down into the ground and I am now held firmly in place. I try to struggle but my thrashing is weak and half hearted. Do I care enough to try to free myself. Maybe just a few more minutes of rest will help. Then I can shake off this shroud of depression.

Comments:
Gosh, hope you rose up like a Phoenix. I've been there. I've been reading a few of your stories/posts... very provocative writing. So, are you hiking the AT? And if so, will you have access to a computer to read that I'm following you?
 
I actually hiked the trail in '05. If you go to the archives, the adventure should start in mid-June of that year. I hope to get back on the story writing band wagon and also clean up the stuff I wrote during NaNoWriMo last year.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?