Saturday, March 12, 2005

 

Easiest Job

This was one of the easiest jobs ever. I wished I had run into it earlier. I literally did run into it. It must have happened about three months ago. With yet another wave of intense paranoia washing over the city, I was out walking and enjoying the calm, sunny day. The street were deserted. I could occassionally hear the roar of a car echoing from down a side street. Its echoes coming from seemingly everywhere and nowhere at the same time. I was wandering aimlessly down some random street. As I had no destination in mind, and no one to run into, my feet went one way, my mind another and my eyes watched the antics of two cats further down the street.

Many of the apartments on this particular stretch of road must have been built after the first massive paranoia wave. The apartment complexes had no windows and were gated, solidly. The action was just getting good with the cats, when suddenly I was knocked to the ground. Sprawled out, I just lay there dazed. Rolling over yielded an interesting sight. A small man with a satchel dangling from his wrist, wringing his hands. His eyes were darting around in classic paranoia and he was hunched in on himself.

I ended up delivering the satchel that day and made quite a few bucks doing it. Shortly after that first delivery, I was called upon to do another. First by him them by people he had me deliver to. My network soon grew so large, I was looking for more people to hire as runners. With all the wide spread panic and paranoia, it was difficult but soon word spread through the underground network and more of the non-paranoid started surfacing. They had been there all along but were so few with varying schedules that none had met any others. Most thought they were alone.

Today, I am at the top of a delivery service. We deliver anything for the paranoid and in return we now have formed a thriving social world with no paranoia. They just don't exist in our minds, we have blocked them out.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?